“Under the Auspices” – Some Explanations
According to one of the first decisions of the newly elected Bureau of the IASS-AIS in Berkeley, June 1994, certain semiotic conferences, occuring between the world congresses, may be provided with the formula “under the auspices of the IASS-AIS”. Such an appellation signifies that the IASS-AIS is affiliated with the organizers, the contents, the scholars and participants, and that the conference’s executive body has received the support of the IASS-AIS. Only recognized congresses may apply to receive formal support. Information on the requirements for recognition are made available under IASS-AIS Rules of Procedure, and are herewith published [. . .]:
“First of all, there will be, until further notice, only two types of conferences in which the IASS-AIS can and will be involved, none of them, in particular, under the head of ‘cooperation’ or ‘collaboration’, but providing, nevertheless, for similar possibilities. These types are:
- the world congresses, whose official organizer is the IASS-AIS together with national or regional representatives appointed to organize these congresses on the practical level;
- specific congresses (or conferences, symposia and the like) which can be held under the auspices of the IASS-AIS when fulfilling the rules of procedure after application to and examination by the Bureau of the IASS-AIS.
The full formula
“under the auspices of the International Association for Semiotic Studies/Association Internationale de Sémiotique IASS-AIS”
can and should be included in each official and/or public announcement with respect to the congress, such as pre-programs, invitations, advertisings, programs, etc., and in connection with exchange of letters concerning the congress addressed to official or university authorities.
In all these cases, the proponents are kindly asked, first, to apply officially, and secondly, to evidence that the following rules of procedure will be kept:
- a genuinely and comprehensively semiotic topic; and/or
- a representative event in honor of world famous scholars in our field;
- the registration/participation fees for IASS-Members shall be at least 50 per cent reduced;
- at least a third of the lecturers shall come from abroad, that is, from the international semiotic scene;
- also at least a third of the lecturers shall be Members of the IASS-AIS;
- the conference shall be supervised by a Scientific Committee consisting of qualified and renowned (predominantly habilitated) scholars, representative of our field;
- the organizers shall take the opportunity to invite and convince qualified lecturers and visitors to become Members of the IASS-AIS; for this reason, the organizers will receive information and inscription sheets from the Secretary General or the Treasurer of the IASS-AIS;
- non-obligatorily, but recommendably, a qualified number of Members of the Bureau and/or of the Executive Committee of the IASS-AIS should be invited as lecturers, to enable working groups on IASS-AIS matters during the respective congress (or conference, symposium and the like); this possibility should at least be discussed with the Bureau of the IASS-AIS;
- the Organizing Committee of the congress should include members of the Executive Committee of the IASS-AIS;
- the Organizers should submit a detailed report to the Secretary General (to be printed in the IASS-AIS Bulletin).
In turn, the proponents will, after examination and positive decision, be allowed to organize the respective event under the auspices of the IASS-AIS, and will receive mail-ready labels with the addresses of the Members of the IASS-AIS (more than 1000 addresses).”
It must be added that, due to some recent misunderstandings, a further point is still under discussion, i.e. concerning the influence the IASS-AIS should have, at least in terms of consultancy, on the publication of the results of congresses and the like provided with the formula “under the auspices” of the IASS-AIS. Provisionally, the Secretary General is asked to be in charge of these matters as to future applications.
International, national, regional semiotics associations, semiotic research centers, institutes, groups, circles, etc. are kindly invited to organize such congresses, and to contact the Secretariat as to the conditions and details.
In the following section [= in this part of the site; GWit], we offer reports on all those congresses, conferences, symposia, etc. whose organizers have already applied for such cooperation, and also have their congresses finished under these conditions [. . .]
It is the firm belief of the Bureau of the IASS-AIS that this new formal possibility for institutionalized intensive scholarly and scientific interaction will advance and intensify exchange, communication and infrastructures not only within the IASS-AIS but also the cohesion of the entire semiotic community.
[originally published in:
IASS-AIS Bulletin-Annual ’95 & 96= Bernard, Withalm & Réthoré 1996: 151-153]
Bernard, Jeff, Gloria Withalm & Joèlle Réthoré (eds.) (1996).
Semiotics Around the World. IASS-AIS Bulletin Annual ’95 & ’96. Wien: ÖGS/ISSS
- Future conference planners seeking the support of the IASS-AIS should send their queries to:
Kristian Bankov (Secretary general), email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Priscila Borges (Vice Secretary General), email: email@example.com
Conferences Under the Auspices of the IASS-AIS
During the three years between the Berkeley Congress and in Mexico, the Bureau of the IASS-AIS decided to have congresses and conferences organized “under the auspices of the IASS-AIS.” This meant that the Association identifies itself with the organizers, the contents, the scholars and the participants (who are to a large part our members), and that it takes an active part in them. These congresses have high standards and deal with a genuinely and comprehensively semiotic topic, or are organized in honor of famous scholars in our field.
So far, there were twenty-three conferences, including those announced for the moment (for reports on the first five cf. Bernard, Withalm & Réthoré 1996: 151-181; these reports are already added to this site. For more information on the conferences go to the “Auspices” quick start page:
- “Kultur und Lebenswelt als Zeichenphänomene. Internationales Kolloquium zu Ehren des 70. Geburtstags von Ivan Bystrina und Ladislav Tondl” (Vienna, Austria, December 1994; proceedings appeared in the series “S-Addenda. Semiotic Studies”, Vienna 1998: Bernard & Withalm 1998);
- “Semiotics of the Media” (Kassel, Germany, March 1995); the proceedings of this congress have appeared in the Approaches series (Nöth 1997)
- “Discursividades: Entre lo visible y lo enunciable” (Córdoba, Argentina, September 1995);
- “Perception et conscience de soi dans les arts et les sciences” (Porto, Portugal, September 1995; results to appear in a special issue of Cruzeiro Semiotico, Porto 1998);
- “International Meeting in Memoriam Jurij M. Lotman (1922-1993)” (Granada, Spain, October 1995); the proceedings, edited by the organizer Manuel Cáceres, appeared in 1997;
- “Caos & ordem: uma abordagem semiótica” (São Paulo, Brazil, August/September, 1996), the first volume of the proceedings appeared in summer 1999: Santaella & Machado 1999.
- “Creation – Semiosis – Acceptance. Thomas Winner 80th Birthday Conference” (Prague, Czech Republic, May 1997)
- “Semiotics and Culture” (Thessaloniki, Greece, May, 1997).
- “2nd East-Asian International Semiotic Seminar” (Shanghai, China, October 1997), a selection of papers presented appeared in 1998.
- “European Semiotic Heritage” (Dresden, Germany, February, 1999). The Proceedings are to appear in 2003.
- “First Turkish Semiotics Congress ” (Ankara, Turkey, October 1999). Th Proceddings appeared as a special issue of S-EJSS, 15 (1), 2003, ed. by Jeff Bernard.
- “Logica, dialogica, ideologica. I segni fra funzionalità ed eccedenza” (Bari, Italy, February, 2002). Published in part in Semiotica 148 (1/4), 2004, and in part as Logica, dialogica, ideologica. Milano: Mimesis 2003.
- “Semióticas de la vida cotidiana. V Congreso Internacional de la Federación Latinoamericana de Semiótica” (Buenos Aires, Argentina, August, 2002). Published on CD in 2004
- “Signes du corps, corps du signe” (Lyon, France, September, 2002).
- “Semiotics and the Global Meaning of East Asian Cultures. Third East Asian Semiotic Seminar” (Wuhan, China, October, 2002).
- “The Relevance of Rossi-Landi’s Semiotics Today” (Bari, Italy, November, 2002). Published in Athanor, vol 2004
- “Picture language – Visualization – Diagrammatrics” (Vienna, Austria, December 2002). Published in S-EJSS 15 (2-4), 2003.
- “Macht der Zeichen, Zeichen der Macht” (Vienna, Austria, September 2003). Published as Macht der Zeichen, Zeichen der Macht. Inst. Vienna 2004.
- “Semiotics and the Humanities” (Beijing, PR China, March 2004).
- “Europe – Image & Notion in Cultural Change” (Vienna, Austria, December 2004).
- “Barthes per Roland Barthes ” (Bari, Italy, February 2005).
- “Global semiotics. Imatra International Summer School ” (Imatra, Finland, June 2005).
- “2nd World Congress on Semiotics and Communication” (Monterrey, Mexico, October 2005).
„Metamorphoses of the Mind: Out of one’s Mind. Losing one’sMind, Lightmindedness, Mindlessness“
Riga/Orellen, Latvia, 21.09.-13.10. 2006
„Metamorphoses of the World: Traces, Shadows, Reflections, Echoes, and Metaphors“
Riga/Orellen, Latvia, 2.-5.10. 2008
„Metamorphoses of the Absolute“
Riga/Orellen, Latvia, 2010.7.-10.10.
„ Modeling of Time and Space“
Berkeley, California, USA/Imatra, Finland/Nanjing,China, 2012
„The Order in Destruction and the Chaos of Order. Freedom“
Riga/Orellen, Latvia, 25 – 28.09. 2014
During most of these conferences, the IASS-AIS, together with the local hosts, organized regional meetings of the Executive Committee of the Associations in order to intensify the exchange among its members and to strengthen scientific networking in the various parts of the world. – The proceedings of these conferences, if not yet published as indicated, are to appear in local book series.