1st International Congress of Numanities “ICoN”,
International Semiotics Institute in Kaunas, Lithuania
Monday 2 to Saturday 7 June, 2014.
The congress theme is “The role of humanities in contemporary society: semiotics, culture, technologies”. Humanities have undergone a complex process of transition in research, everyday practices, policies, and educational approaches. The main goal of the congress is to activate a discussion on the problems and opportunities currently faced by the various areas of humanities (arts, linguistics, philosophy, etc.), also in their intersection with other fields of inquiry.
Although the main methodological interface is located within the area of semiotic, communication and cultural studies, ICoN aims to establish a genuinely interdisciplinary platform for scholars and students (in the spirits of Numanities themselves), therefore submissions are welcome from all disciplines.
We particularly appreciate a focus on the following topics:
– The institutional, economical and social position of humanities and arts in nowadays society
– New theoretical developments within humanities
– Interdisciplinary dialogues between humanities, and social and natural sciences.
– Developments in research and teaching practices
– The impact and potentials of technology on humanities
– Language, culture and identity
– Thinking/rethinking cultural heritage
– Locality, globality and interculturality
– Updates and upgrades in semiotic research
– Ethics, sustainability and future
JANUARY 31, 2014: Deadline for abstract submission
FEBRUARY 2014: The scientific committee reviews the abstracts and informs the participants by February 28.
APRIL 15, 2014: Deadline for the payment of the registration fee and the registration form
JUNE 2-7, 2014: Welcome to the International Congress on Numanities!
For more details, please visit www.isisemiotics.eu/icon